Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Im Back!

Time for A&P II

I am feeling a bit nervous this semester...taking this class and micro at the same time :/
I spend so much time to do the best I can (get an A) and I hope I can do that in both classes!
So we are jumping into the endocrine system and blood the last 2 weeks.
We talked about diabetes insipidus which is when the hypothalamus is not producing or the pituitary gland isn't releasing ADH (anti diuretic hormone) Also it can be caused by the kidneys being insensitive to the hormone.
I had this a couple of years ago and I peed excessively. I went to the doctor thinking I had a UTI and that was not the problem. They had me do a 24 hour urine catch and in that time I had over 6000 ML which is excessive!
They took me to an Italian cancer hospital for a brain MRI, they thought I may have had a tumor in my pituitary gland. There was no tumor altho my pituitary or hypothalamus (I cant remember which one) was slightly swollen and larger than normal. Over the next 6 weeks scans showed it continue to head back to a normal size and slowly the diabetes insipidus ceased as well.

I was an interesting and somewhat frightful experience! I didnt get to ask a lot of questions or have a great understanding of what was going on. My PCM was general and the Italian neurologist was pretty hard to understand at times!

No comments:

Post a Comment