Saturday, April 16, 2011

My adventures this week with the digestive system!

I have been in and out of the bathroom, dr's office, urgent care, and ER with a sick 4 year old this week. I have also missed 1 and 1/2 microbiology classes as well.
It started Sunday night, Keira complained that her tummy hurt...not an uncommon complaint in this house. On Monday she was still complaining but it did not really slow her down. Tuesday she reluctantly ate her breakfast and lunch and really just laid around all morning. Then the puking began! 3 times, twice in the car :/
Wednesday she seemed a little better but she didn't really want to eat. I sent her to daycare so I could go to class and while there I know she at the very least, ate her yogurt. When I picked her up she seemed tired, and she complained of her tummy again. She laid down and did not want to move, which is really really weird! After a complete meltdown about eating Ice cream that evening I knew something must be really wrong! I decided we needed to go to urgent care as my Dr's office was closing shortly.
On the way to urgent care she threw up and forever traumatized me for life!!! I have never seen anything like this, it was straight out of an exorcist movie! Vomit reached the front of the car....
She was soaked!
The urgent care pretty much instantly concluded she needed to be seen at the ER so away we went.
There they took this picture which pretty obviously identifies her pain and vomiting issues.
She is a total gas bag!
So much pressure that it caused her to explosively vomit anything her stomach tried to deposit into her intestines.
Pretty much on cue with the ER dr's diagnoses the little tot began to foghorn. I feel bad for her big sister who has the top bunk above her.
I thought that was that and we had and would move past the issue!
Thursday however she still just laid around and complained of belly pain and would refuse to eat or drink much. She is usually so active and this was weird for her. On Friday it was even worse, she wouldn't walk or even talk to me and she had a hard time staying awake. She cried out with pain from her abdomen but thankfully no puking...altho it was because she refused to eat anything for days.
I was conflicted...If it was just gas, why was she so sick...what If I ignored a serious problem, laughing it all away as gas. I decided she needed to be seen again. We went to the Dr and they felt sure she had appendicitis, so we got shuttled to the ER again. I waited in the lobby for 4 hours and she slept the whole time.
The dr was concerned with her lethargy and took blood and ordered an ultrasound of her belly.
They also started an IV because she was clearly dehydrated. Her blood work came back with a new issue! The puking and refusing to eat and drink had caused dangerously low blood sugar. Her blood glucose was 30! No wonder she wouldn't walk, talk, or stay awake! They immediately started an IV with a bag of sugar solution.
It didn't take long and she perked right up, and even said her belly pain was gone. Her ultrasound was perfect and she was her normal self in no time.
The dr said she had just gotten in a spiral. The gas caused pain and vomiting and refusal to eat, which caused dehydration and low blood sugar that caused abdominal cramps, which lead to even less wanting to eat and drink, and on and on.
So here we are one day later and she is back to her old self! I am exhausted, haven't gotten any work or studying, or cleaning done! It has been an interesting A&P in the real world for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment